Friday, March 26, 2010

Clare and the Reasons in a Hot House:
The Botanique in Brussels 3.21.10


This was a great night both in regards to the music and the setting. In my pre-trip research I found that Clare and the Reasons, the band who was center at the things at the Van Dyke Parks concert I saw in my Macworld trip in February was going to be in Brussels during my time there. Because I was overwhelmed with Church Street bookstore and food options, I missed the first part of their set in SF.


Clare is Clare Muldaur, daughter of Geoff Muldaur, but I can find no web evidence that mother is Maria Midnight at the Oasis. Regardless, her spiritual and musical DNA seems to have more to do with Harry Nilsson than anyone else. But they also have this kind of sonic exploration that is like chamber music meets Beck.

The group is a phenomenal collaboration between husband and wife. Clare is married to Olivier Manchon. Manchon is a classical musician and seems to be a very good natured and gracious chap. I have not yet had a chance to hear his new album Orchestre de CHambre Minature - Valume 1 but I am sure it will give me some clues to this very inventive man and how he bravely and colors a quriky pop based look at the world I've never yet encountered.


There are two other Reasons. There is a very tall guy with glasses and a great haircut and another fellow who keeps things steady bass rhythm wise.

Then there is the matter of the location. I figured it was going to be a club. After I confirmed the show was going to be in town, I asked the concierege to call the name and number of the venue. She said it was going to be closed. I thought that was kind of crazy because there was a show scheduled. She dialed anyway and got a recording. The bartender explained to me how to get there during box office business hours via the Metro, a stop for which was practially on the sidewalk in front. He told me there were a couple rooms to see music there, but I failed to ask him anything more about the venue.

When I got off the subway I did one of those short untrained postman walks trying to match number which in hundreds years cities can be irregular to say the least. But finally figured that what I was looking for was this big 1829 green house that had been turned into a cultural center. Here you can visit the gardens, go to a concert, have a drink, or see an art exhibition.


This particular show was in a rotunda laid out with a third of the pie being for the audience. This was one of those great experiences where the right band was in the right room. After about five songs or so, Clare said she thought this room must have the best acoustics for a place to play in all of Europe. "You're not the first to say that blurrted out The interactive shout out guy guy with beard and glasses and sometimes ponytail that is upiquitious at all pop concerts. (We have a small tribe of them at the Aladdin in PDX)

I am sure lots of groups said this, but how many of them have a female singer who hits these notes unnatural more with precision than any seasoning of being precious and a band that sometimes takes the sonic rides that remind me of Wilco. True factors, but what brings it over the top is that Clare can whistle. Really well.

Whistling is important to Belgium. Clare could be seen to be on a kind of cultural holy ground here. We're talking about the land of Gypsy jazz and Toots Thielemans, who besides playing harmonica was featured on nearly every Quincy Jones album and is still active. And Toots whistling cred? Try the Old Spice jingle for eternal pop culture size.

I think Claire and Olivier should reveal more of themselves through play and patter on stage. They themselves are interesting stories just as the Nickel Creek kids are. The Brussels sprout joke was a miscue, but Clare's good natured French and the exchange surrounding Olivier's newly mined euphonium skills were winners. The Manchons seem like the kind of folk I would like to hang out with.



No comments:

Post a Comment